Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Guest Blogger: My Step Dad, Leon. He isn't ALWAYS Crazy

As any one who has read this blog from day one knows, I like to mix it up. This blog is typically about my philosophical take on situations I've encountered while being a touring musician, but sometimes I  just feel goofy and want to have word play day or discuss the weirdness of car commercials. Well today is one of those latter days and I wanted to do something different today.

Some of you may be acquainted with my stepfather, Leon. Some of you maybe not.

So I want to start by saying he is a wild and crazy 82 year old, that lives full tilt. He is always smiling and always attacking life.

He is as charismatic a person as I have ever met. He has taught me a ton about enjoying life and living life to the fullest.

Leon is also very helpful. When he sees some one with a project, he will work round the clock to help get the project completed. I've seen him help countless friends, family members, and even random strangers in this way.

Well my blog is no different.

He has enjoyed reading my posts everyday, but he wanted to help.

This morning he brought me the letter I will post below.

I thought it was a very interesting and nice statement so I thought I'd share it with you.

==================================
Do the trees talk ? Do the breezes Whisper?

    I awoke early today (15 August 2012) and for some unknown reason I had the strange urge to sit on the back porch outside my comfortable air conditioned house. As I was sitting in the semi-darkness, I could just feel the approach of rain. I didn't see the cloud. I could then hear the gentle breeze in the leaves. The air had suddenly changed from warm to cool and it sounded as if the leaves were talking to each other about it and also thanking the cool breeze. I did not hear the leaves talking when it was warm. The sudden change from warm air to cool air told the trees, rain was on its way. As the rain approached the tree frogs chimed in expressing their approval. The insects and bugs followed suit. It was like a symphony. How did they know when the maestro waved his wand in their direction?

    This brings to mind the song written by Bob Nolan (made famous by Sons of the Pioneers and later Marty Robbins). In this song, the main character is in the desert with his horse. They were both in need of water in the worst way. The rider must have heard the meager grass, cacti and weeds talking in the breeze and begging for rain; begging as the breezes gently caressed them with warm air. Listen carefully to the words of Bob Nolan as he urged the horse to survive:


"All day I face the barren waste without the taste of water,Cool water.Old Dan and I with throats burned dry and souls that cry for water,Cool water.The night are cool and I'm a fool each stars a pool of water,Cool water.But with the dawn I'll wake and yawn and carry on to water,Cool water.(Chorus)Keep a movin' Dan, don't you listen to him Dan, he's a devil not a manand he spreads the burnin' sand with water.Dan can't you see that big green tree where the waters runnin' freeand it's waiting there for me and you.Water, cool water.The shadows sway and seem to say tonight we pray for water,Cool water.And way up there He'll hear our prayer and show us where there's water, Cool Water.Dan's feet are sore he's yearning for just one thing more than water,Cool water.Like me, I guess, he'd like to rest where there's no quest for water,Cool water."


I have heard the leaves and critters so many times in my 82 years. This morning reminded me that I still live to hear the beautiful songs and music of nature anticipating the life giving rain. 

To gain the full impact of this melody, go into the woods where everything is quiet. Sit by a large tree and wait. Finely tune your ears to your surroundings and wait. If you are truly a lover of nature the sounds will come. The sounds will come in such an unexpected way. The insects, birds and other creatures will sing their songs. The cool breeze through the leaves add to the symphony. It is as if the maestro waved his wand to bring in the sounds of the leaves in order to complete nature's concert.

And the beautiful thing is nature does this all the time as the temperature changes. When rain finally comes it's as if the maestro puts down his wand. All of the insects, birds and other creatures close their songbooks and enjoy the rain they had been asking for.

============================

Although this is a short little story I really like it. Everyone knows Leon as a crazy wild man. I think this story shows that he is a lot more than that. Leon is a nature lover and a deeper thinker as well. 

I will definitely include some of his more crazy adventures in future blog posts but I felt a story about his normal and poetic side deserved a little press too.




1 comment:

  1. He has turned out to be quite the writer, hasn't he? Loved it.

    ReplyDelete